IndyGamers Online Forums

Online Community

Register

Old February 17th, 2015, 01:00 PM

Default How to reformat a hard drive?

I'm not very good with computers. Mine has been acting pretty slow even after multiple antivirus and malware scans. Reformatting the drive and starting from scratch sounds like a good idea at this point but I have absolutely no idea how to do this. My dad took care of all of this stuff when I was a kid.

Any help?
Old February 18th, 2015, 11:16 PM
[iG] Member

Reformating usually occurs when you reinstall the operating system, so unless your willing to loose everything and are able to install windows again its not the best option. You can defrag your computer to get some minor speed increases but honestly the reformat aka reinstalling windows would be ur best bet.

"Lazy (4:22:25 AM): fucking.. you need to stay in more
Lazy(4:22:26 AM): !~
DeathKing33 (4:22:03 AM): wow
DeathKing33 (4:22:05 AM): quoting that"
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:15 PM
[iG] Moderator

Initially we would need to know if you have a pre-packaged computer like Dell or a custom build. Those manufacturers provide recovery options.

For a custom build, this might help:

Insert your OS disc in to your CD/DVD tray
Restart the computer, and at the prompt to boot from CD/DVD, press a key to continue. If you did not boot in to the CD/DVD, restart your computer and try again.
When the setup begins, you may or may not need to use a mouse. Be prepared to use your keyboard and follow instructions on screen.
Continue with setup, and continue through the license agreement.
When dealing with the partition: you will need to install a fresh copy. Do not perform a repair or upgrade.
When formatting the partition, use the following option "Format the partition using the NTFS file system."
Allow it to format. Once done, OS setup will begin.
Going through setup, select keyboard and language options. Enter your product key. And allow the install to finish.
Old March 1st, 2015, 11:29 PM
Lt. Colonel

Pretty much what Zo said. One thing to consider, due to the fact that we don't know much about your hardware setup, at least make sure that you've got your Ethernet/networking drivers before you reformat. If you have at least this, and you're missing a couple of device drivers, you'll at least be able to snag them from the Internet. Windows is pretty solid these days about getting you online out of the box, but it never hurts to be safe.

Can you give us some insight as to what kind of hardware you're running? It could be something simple like you've got 4GB of RAM, but you've got 10,000 things running at startup. I personally hate reformatting, unless it's for a brand new build, but I suppose suit yourself.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 12:41 PM

Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-4570

8GB RAM

Forget what kind of video card, but it is a custom build. ie - something i put together.
Old March 7th, 2015, 01:41 PM
[iG] Member

You ll want to make sure what motherboard you have so you can download the ethernet drivers to a thumb drive.

"Lazy (4:22:25 AM): fucking.. you need to stay in more
Lazy(4:22:26 AM): !~
DeathKing33 (4:22:03 AM): wow
DeathKing33 (4:22:05 AM): quoting that"
Old March 8th, 2015, 10:18 AM

Yeah, this all seems like a big fucking hassle. Are there any programs that really do a good job of wiping any viruses and what not you get from regular internet browsing and ...ahem...pron....stuff like that.

I generally have a burner lap top that I use for all that but it broke so I had to use my gaming PC for browsing and shit in a moment of weakness.
Old March 9th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Lt. Colonel

It's really not as much of a hassle as it seems. In fact, it's much easier now than what it was 10 years ago. If you have Windows 7, I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (free). It has a realtime scanner, and does a pretty decent job. After you get cleaned-up, practice the best antivirus out there - auditing your activity.
Old April 29th, 2015, 09:02 PM
[iG] Member

I'd recommend setting up a virtual machine for any... questionable activity.

Some googling and you can probably find a youtube video to walk you through it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/196060/begi...tual-machines/
Old May 5th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Lt. Colonel

No offense, DB, but if someone doesn't have the IT wherewithal to format a hard drive and reinstall an OS, I wouldn't recommend them governing a virtual machine. It's nice from a snapshotting and recovery standpoint, but it's probably more beneficial for OP to learn how to audit his activity.