IndyGamers Online Forums

Online Community

Register

Old November 5th, 2008, 11:22 AM
[iG] Member

Default I'm Done

Well my run at this game is over, I had some good times but it turned into the same oh same oh and felt like a grind. I ended up with my highest character at level 26 but each level seemed to take longer and longer to achieve. Also noticed a trend of people only playing the same scenario over and over and over which made sense as it was the easiest way to get XP but it also ended up being a buzz kill, quest were boring as well as PQs.

I did get involved in raiding some keeps and that was fun but after a few I was over it. Just like with WOW I enjoy the beginning of the games the best but once it turns into a grind I don’t have time.

Also in that 22-30 range most Public Quest rewards did not have any gear with attributes that would benefit my character. So there was no motivation to do any of them.

While playing this my daughter still plays Guild Wars and often I’d turn around and realized the graphics of Warhammer is just weak when I am comparing it to a game released in April 2005. There is some serious eye candy in GW.

Overall I enjoyed the game but it just had a short life span for me.

Anybody else still playing it? The Guild was getting smaller and fewer people showing online each time I got on.
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator

The last few mmo's I've played have turned that way for me. I was hoping this one would be different but it doesn't sound like it. I have a hard time dealing with the grind cause it's just the same thing over and over. I've been really busy the last few weeks so I haven't had time to play. I guess if nothing else, it'll give me time to play some other games.

"Superchargers whine while they screw. Turbos whistle while they work."
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM
[iG] Moderator

I quit too, but I think it's more just me, than the game. Free time ran out, and I think I'm going to give Tabula Rasa a quick roll.
- Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate | AMD FX-8120 3.1 GHz | ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120 | Corsair TX 750 | Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series™ 600T | Asus ROG Crosshair V | Diamond ATI Radeon HD 7970 3 GB | Kingston HyperX 8 GB | 2 x 240 GB SSD | Corsair Gaming Audio Series™ HS1A Gaming Headset -
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:11 PM
[iG] Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpittman View Post
I quit too, but I think it's more just me, than the game. Free time ran out, and I think I'm going to give Tabula Rasa a quick roll.

Let us know if you try it and what you think, I'd be interesting but I need references.
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Administrator

I still like it. Just don't have too much time to play it.
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:59 PM
[iG] Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslad View Post
Let us know if you try it and what you think, I'd be interesting but I need references.
LOL, I saw the game on clearance like over 6 months ago. I still haven't opened the box. I'm not confident that I'll give it a fair trial.

Zoline said good things about it.

I'll probably go back to WoW, or maybe even EQ2... who knows.
- Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate | AMD FX-8120 3.1 GHz | ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120 | Corsair TX 750 | Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series™ 600T | Asus ROG Crosshair V | Diamond ATI Radeon HD 7970 3 GB | Kingston HyperX 8 GB | 2 x 240 GB SSD | Corsair Gaming Audio Series™ HS1A Gaming Headset -
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:47 PM
[iG] Moderator

I <3 TR. Just had no one to play with. Only person that played that I knew had a different schedule than I, and eventually quit.
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:40 PM
[iG] Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
I still like it. Just don't have too much time to play it.
Yeah I was having fun when we played...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpittman View Post
LOL, I saw the game on clearance like over 6 months ago. I still haven't opened the box. I'm not confident that I'll give it a fair trial.

Zoline said good things about it.

I'll probably go back to WoW, or maybe even EQ2... who knows.
Sounds like the next things for MMO with something new will be WoW expansion pack. I just wish the travel time was so long.... but I'm tempted.
Old November 5th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Anyone think that were just getting tired of MMO's? I mean, they all have the same basic principles of grind, quest, dungeon, and PvP. The market seems to be saturated, particularly with fantasy based MMORPGs, that only have subtle differences between them anymore.

Ask yourselves, what is it you’re looking for in return from an MMO?

I think beyond its IP and game mechanics, I loved SWG mostly because it was my first MMO. It was/still is the measuring stick I use to compare all others.

Why?

I think most of it is the slight rush I got when "leveling." My first high so to speak. It was the first time I experienced a persistent world in which my own highly customized character gained experience. It was for lack of a better phrase, “game changing.”

Whether you cut your teeth on EQ, SWG, or WoW, I think we need to ask ourselves, what is it we are looking for in return from an MMO nowadays? Because if it’s that first rush, that original high we got when leveling… that obsession while at work or school thinking about going home to play… or how you should spec your character… etc. Well, that’s as lost as your virginity. ‘Getting some’ is still good, but let’s be honest, it’s never as good as the first time.

Leveling or acquiring skills, the fundamental game mechanic in all MMOs, is a novelty now. You can find it in almost every game type. Games are all sluts now, and were used to ‘getting some’ from every game in town. So just like sex or drug addicts, we’re looking for that first high. We don’t want just some trashy knock off of our originals; we want our first love back.

My advice, take what you have and love it for what it is. No she may not as hot as she used to be, but she’s what you have invested in, and she’s there for you as long as you have $15/month. You just need to let her be her, and stick with her.

I’m going to go stick my wank in my SWG box now.
Old November 5th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Administrator

I agree with you for the most part. As much as I loved the old SWG, it was probably the worst one to have pop you cherry. It was different than any other mmo before or since. The game really didn't revolve around grinding and leveling. Once you had the mechanics figured out, you could hit master level in a day or 2. It was all about the social experience. It was about sitting around and bullshitting with up to 40-50 players. It was PVPing for hours on end. It was being able to explore a world (galaxy) you grew up with. I mean, how many nights did we sit in the cantina talking, laughing and doing stupid shit all night with 10-30 other guys doing the same thing? Spending half the day zerg rushing out of the cloner defending our city and the rest of the day beating on someone else’s? Spending a whole day looking for recourses and dropping harvesters? SWG gave you the freedom to do about anything you wanted to. You just don’t see any of that in other mmo’s.

Sometimes I think I’m just getting sick of mmo’s but I think it’s like you said Tait, SWG basically ruined all other mmo’s for me. I just think it’s going to take a mmo that steps outside the EQ/WoW box like SWG did.

"Superchargers whine while they screw. Turbos whistle while they work."
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:35 AM
[iG] Moderator

I agree. While SWG wasn't my first MMO I think... Can't really remember honestly... It was the only Sandbox MMO where no matter who you were and what you did, you actually, literally affected the game world. Think of Tatooine... There were, what, 4 pre-created cities on the whole planet? The players grew the game, literally. With Housing, Cities, Armor, Weapons, and much much more. The only hope of me truly getting addicted to another MMO is SOE decides to re-release SWG or something... or another company risks making a Sandbox MMO.
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:05 AM

SWG was a far more in depth MMORPG than most others. The fact that you could be a Doctor one day, a Bounty Hunter the next, and then decide on a hybrid doctor/BH the next. I can't quite remember, wasn't there upwards of 40 or so professions?

It also helped that it was the Star Wars universe. Being able to see places that were in the actual movies, and build a house just meters from it. You really felt like a part of it all.

BTW I got an email from SOE saying that if you had a subscription, it's been reactivated for the month of November.
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Haven't seen it mentioned but, another amazing component of SWG was that there were 'police' - Imperials guarding nearly every major city. High on muon gold? FINED. Covert rebel? ATTACKED. Sliced equipment? FINED!

That was another great aspect of the game, although very minor in the big picture. It was one of those things I found cool about the game at first.

Personally I'd like to see an MMO where they don't waste 90% of their dev time developing the whole 1-X0 leveling grounds, just start out at cap and decide how you want to branch out. "Leveling" could be loosely replaced with something such as Guild Wars post-20, gain a talent point or something every experience level, but for the most part remain the same. Gaining power but never required to do so. SWG had this nearly perfected, you start out with the same stats you end up with at a fully capped profession, you gain abilities & new weapon skills along the way, and leveling the professions was quick. But, instead of having to re-level every time you want to switch, have an XP bank or similar, and maybe missions to convert XP from one type to another.

In depth, unique crafting. What you make is unlike nearly everything else crafted in some way.

No BS leveling "pre-game" that's just there to waste everyone's time and ends up segregating groups with different schedules far too much.

No BS quests that are just filler. SWG had about 5 quests in at launch, majority being chains that resulted in a badge or reward at the end, so you could say you've been there done that. Quests in games nowadays are like SWG missions, BS meant to keep you grinding, but practically required to progress.

Character customization is terrible in the majority of new games. SWG had multiple races, limitless appearances per race, and an entire profession based around changing your or others' appearances.

The shear number of professions and combinations available in SWG made it a hell of a lot more fun IMO. Not only could you be anything you wanted to be, you could be a combination of two or three anythings you wanted to be, and switch around whatever you want whenever you want.

Improve on SWGs concept with a more vast world, with expansion easily possible. Retain the town limit per planet, prohibit building on grinding/grouping planets, maybe add in a "planet council" or something like it that is basically the #1 town on a planet, that can make some important decisions or declare presence in an actual preset city...

Yes, I'm bored :| I'd like to go on but I'll stop here.
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:47 AM
[iG] Member

I never tried SWG, so the big question why did you guys stop playing it?
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Long story short, they "upgraded" the game 2 years after launch with "Combat Upgrade" and "New Game Enhancement" patches. They removed the majority of what the hardcore mmo fans loved, and nerfed it down so it would be easier for the lehman. Intent was to make it more "Star Warsy", but it killed it. People left in thousands a week.

Main issue at hand was the professions. Having a pool of career points allowed you to make hybrid professions. It was really cool. For example, you could specialize in combat medic/sniper. Throw an AoE of Mind poison/disease, go prone, and pick off players in PvP using a head shot which took away mind. It wasn't this rock/paper/scissors career path you have now in most MMO's. You had exploits, but you could come up with tactics to counter them. And beyond that, you had to experiment with the professions to even become force sensitive. You were on the path to a Jedi. It took months of experimenting and work to do. And when you saw a Jedi (I remember my first time), it was like whoa! A friggin' Jedi!!! Of course, if spotted, the Jedi would show up on terminals and Bounty Hunters could track them down. Just awesome. But the devs were constantly tweaking on the game to try and balance it. And eventually they over tweaked, and ruined it.

It's still alive as the new NGE version, but there are countless articles on what not to do with an MMO, that reference the debacle.

Read the full history of SWG

Pretty upsetting. Still pisses me off. Not sure anyone will ever capture the spirit that game had unless they re-release it. My original post on the subject made me wonder if it was just my first MMO or if SWG was special. In hindsight, I think maybe SWG was just a special MMO.