IndyGamers Online Forums

Online Community

Register

Old November 6th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslad View Post
I never tried SWG, so the big question why did you guys stop playing it?
It started with the "Combat Upgrade" that drasticaly changed how you played in combat, which most of us would agree was for the worse. That in it's self seemed to drive a lot of people away from the game. Then there was the "New Game Experience". They changed the whole game at this point. They brought in character levels and really bad quests. They basicaly tried to copy WoW/EQ on most of the game play elements. Then there was the whole Jedi thing I'm not going to get into now....

In essence, rather than taking a great game and fixing what needed fixed and updating/adding to it, they rewrote it to copy WoW because of it's success (thanks LucasArts ).

"Superchargers whine while they screw. Turbos whistle while they work."
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Administrator

yeah, trying to fit WoW/EQ into a system that had no player level, was like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It just didn't work.

We even gave NGE a try, I did several times, but the spirit was lost, and it just ended up being a very poor Star Wars copy of the current MMO standard.
Old November 6th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator

There are a few people working on SWG pre-CU emulators.

SWGEmu.com is probably the biggest, and one closest to launching. It's not necessarily endorsed by SOE or LA either.

Perhaps, when they get this worked out... we can inhabit Tatooine again!
Old November 8th, 2008, 02:06 PM
teh_controversial_admin

I just would SOE and LA would pull their fucking head out of their ass and put SWG pre-CU back online. Run two different versions of the game if you choose. Like PVP server and PVE server for example. I'd bet my left testicle that if they put SWG pre-CU back online they'd make more and maybe even kill WoW.

The DEVS that code these games should really get out and explore threads like this one and maybe we'd get a game that we actually liked and love as we did with SWG.